Travelcards and passes
London Overground is moving to Oyster
From Sunday 15 September 2013, 7 Day or longer period Travelcards will only be available on Oyster at TfL operated London Overground ticket offices.
Existing paper Travelcards covering travel in Zones 1-9 will remain valid until they expire.
The benefits of having your Travelcard on OysterThere are more outlets to buy your ticket from:
Oyster is flexible, you can add pay as you go credit as well as a Travelcard if you want to travel outside your Travelcard zones. The pay as you go fare will be charged automatically so you won't need to buy a paper extension ticket before you travel.
Adult rate annual Gold Card holders can get discounted off-peak pay as you go fares. Ask at the ticket office for the discount to be set. Find out more about Gold Cards
Oyster cards are reusable. Renew your Travelcard or top up your pay as you go credit as you need.
Sign up for an Oyster online account to:
- Buy or renew Travelcards
- Top up pay as you go
- View your journey history
- Receive weekly and monthly email statements
- Protect your card against loss and theft
How to use your Oyster card
- Touch in on a yellow card reader at the start of your journey and touch out at the end. Find out more about touching in and out
- On some journeys you can choose a cheaper route that avoids Zone 1. Touch in at the start of your journey, then, when you change trains, look out for a pink card reader (also known as a validator). Touch your card on the validator, as well as at the end of your journey, to ensure that we charge you correctly. Find out more about pink card readers
On buses and trams, only touch your card on a yellow card reader at the start of each journey
- Keep your Oyster card separate from your other contactless payment cards
- You pay a £5 deposit when you get a new Oyster card. If you no longer need your Oyster card, you can get a refund for any credit left and the deposit. Call TfL Customer Services on 0343 222 1234 or visit a Tube station ticket office.
General Travelcard and pass information
You can put Adult, 18+ Student, 16+, child and Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount 7 Day monthly and longer period Travelcards and Bus & Tram passes on Oyster.
If you are travelling in London and using a Travelcard, it must cover all the zones you intend to travel through. For example, if you are going somewhere in Zone 3, you must make sure that you have paid enough money for your Travelcard to cover you. If you travel beyond the zones covered by your Travelcard, you can expect to be charged an extension fare which will be deducted from your Oyster pay as you go balance. If your Oyster pay as you go displays a minus sign before the balance, you may need to top up your Oyster card before you travel again, even if you have a valid Travelcard for the zones of your travel.
Your Oyster card will automatically work out when to switch between a Travelcard and pay as you go.
Day Travelcards for travel in London are not available on Oyster. However, if you use Oyster to pay as you go and make a number of journeys in one day, you won't pay more than the equivalent Day Travelcard.*
* Does not apply for travel to/from Grays, Purfleet, Ockendon or Chafford Hundred.Oyster cards that have a Travelcard or Bus & Tram pass on it are non-transferable. They cannot be used by anyone other than the registered owner.