If you are:
- Receiving payments under the War Pensions Scheme or Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
You can get a Veterans Oyster photocard to:
- Travel free on London's public transport, including most National Rail services
Can I get a Veterans Oyster photocard?
You can apply for a Veterans Oyster photocard if you are:
- Receiving ongoing payments under the War Pensions Scheme in your name (this includes widows, widowers and dependants)
- Or receiving Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme in your name (this includes widows, widowers and dependants)
Ongoing payments are awarded to service personnel who have sustained a certain level of physical or psychological injury in the line of duty. If you received a one-off gratuity payment, and are not receiving ongoing payments, then you are not eligible for a Veterans Oyster photocard.
We will not issue a Veterans Oyster photocard if you live in London and are eligible for a 60+ London Oyster photocard or a Freedom Pass.
If you live in London
You can apply for a 60+ London Oyster photocard two weeks before your 60th birthday. You can apply for an Older Persons Freedom Pass once you reach the required age. To find out if you're eligible, visit the freedom pass website. This gives exactly the same travel benefits as the Veterans Oyster photocard.
How much do I save with a Veterans Oyster photocard?
You can travel free at any time using your Veterans Oyster photocard on:
Travel free at any time on buses within London showing the following symbol
- Tube, tram, DLR and London Overground
Travel free at any time
- Some National Rail services in London
Travel free at any time on:
Chiltern Railway services between:
- Amersham - Marylebone
- West Ruislip - South Ruislip
First Capital Connect services between:
- Finsbury Park - King's Cross or Moorgate
- West Hampstead - Moorgate, Elephant & Castle and London Bridge
London Midland services between:
- Harrow & Wealdstone - Euston
Greater Anglia services between:
- Stratford - Liverpool Street
c2c services between:
- Upminster - Fenchurch Street
You can travel free from 09:30* weekdays, any time on weekends and public holidays on most other National Rail services in London and services to Dartford and Swanley.
(*You can travel free from 09:00 on Southern Services between Clapham Junction and Harrow & Wealdstone)
View the Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme map (PDF 45KB) to see where and when you can travel free on National Rail services
You need to pay full fare on National Rail services not shown or listed.
You can show your Veterans Oyster photocard to pay discounted fares on:
- River services
Get a discount on any of the following services:
- City Cruises: Westminster - Greenwich
- Thames River Services: Westminster - Greenwich - Thames Barrier
- Crown River Cruises: Westminster - St Katherine's
- WPSA: Westminster - Hampton Court
- Thames Clippers: Embankment and the London Eye - The O2 and Woolwich Arsenal
- Thames Clippers: Bankside - Millbank
- Emirates Air Line
Show your Veterans Oyster photocard to pay the discounted adult Boarding Pass fare
How do I apply for a Veterans Oyster photocard?
Call us on 0343 222 1234 to get an application form and apply for a Veterans Oyster photocard.
You'll need to complete and return the form with:
- A photocopy of your Awards Notification or annual uprating letter from the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency dated within the last two years. This will show your entitlement to an ongoing payment under the War Pensions Scheme or Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
- A passport size photo
If you meet the eligibility criteria, we'll send you your Oyster photocard and you can start using it immediately.
Changing your photo
You can change your photo online, using the lost, stolen or damaged process. This costs £10.
How do I use my Veterans Oyster photocard?
Once you've got your card you can start using it immediately.
Touching in and out
Make sure you touch your card on the yellow card readers. It's a bit different for each type of transport. Find out more about touching in and out.
Your card will expire on the date shown on the front of your Veterans Oyster photocard.