Terms and conditions
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Oyster online username and password ("Login Details") and for restricting access to your computer to prevent unauthorised access to your Oyster online account. You must keep your Login Details secret and take all reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorised or fraudulent use of them. You must not disclose your Login Details to any other person or record your Login Details in any way that may result in them becoming known to another person. You agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your Oyster online account. You should inform us immediately if you have any reason to believe that your Login Details have become known to anyone else, or if the Login Details are being, or are likely to be, used in an unauthorised manner.
Transport for London (TfL), Transport Trading Limited (TTL) and their agents will only use the information that you have supplied on this form to administer the Recurring Payment Authority that you have authorised, and for customer services and research. We may use this information to contact you in relation to these purposes.
Application of these terms and conditions
Money added to your Oyster card to pay as you go using this recurring payment process is subject to these terms and conditions, together with the Oyster online shop terms and conditions (T&Cs) and TfL's Conditions of carriage. In the event of a conflict between any of these documents, the Auto Top-Up T&Cs will take precedence.
It is your responsibility to familiarise yourself with these T&Cs. By clicking the checkbox you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agree to these. If you do not accept these T&Cs, you must not submit a request through this recurring payment process.
Configuring your Oyster card
Once you have completed the Recurring Payment Authority and paid for money to be added to your Oyster card using your credit or debit card online, an instruction will be sent to the location you have nominated the following day (or in the case of applications lodged after 11pm, two days later). Within eight days of making your purchase you must take your Oyster card to the location nominated for configuration. Configuration occurs when you touch your Oyster card on the yellow reader at your nominated location. Until this is done, this Recurring Payment Authority does not become effective. If you do not configure your Oyster card within the required eight-day period, you will need to submit a new application form.
New Oyster card customers
If you are a new Oyster card customer, your Oyster card with the money you have paid for on it will be sent to you in the post. Your card will be ready for immediate use.
Cancelling, amending and updating
You may cancel, amend or update your Recurring Payment Authority at any time either online or by calling the Oyster helpline on 0343 222 1234. Your cancellation, amendment or update request will not become effective until you have taken your Oyster card to your nominated location for re-configuring, which you must do within eight days of submitting your request. If you do not do so within this period, your request will expire and you will need to submit a further request. Until you update your Oyster card, your existing Recurring Payment Authority will remain in place and TTL will not be liable for any top-up purchased pursuant to your Recurring Payment Authority.
If you apply for, amend or cancel a Recurring Payment Authority before 11pm, your nominated location will be ready to re-configure your Oyster card from the following day. Otherwise, it will be ready two days later.
If your financial institution rejects a payment requested on the basis of your Recurring Payment Authority, an agent of TTL will attempt to contact you. If you do not correct the failed payment within two days TTL reserves the right to cancel your Oyster card which will disable its future use and cancel any Recurring Payment Authority associated with that Oyster card. If that occurs, you will need to arrange a new Oyster card. To get a new Oyster card, please visit any Tube Station ticket office or Oyster ticket stop. Alternatively you can order online at www.tfl.gov.uk/oyster, or contact telephone sales via the Oyster helpline 0343 222 1234.
If you have any further queries regarding failed payments, please call the Oyster helpline.
Lost or stolen Oyster card
If your Oyster card is lost or stolen, you must immediately report it at online or by calling the Oyster helpline on 0343 222 1234. Your Oyster card (including any associated Recurring Payment Authority) will continue to operate as normal until you report it lost or stolen, at which time TTL will stop the Oyster card.
You will need to establish a new Recurring Payment Authority on all new Oyster cards including replacement cards.
Any refunds payable to you in relation to any balance on your Oyster card will be governed by TfL's Conditions of carriage.
If you have provided an email address you will be advised within 48 hours each time a payment is taken from your account following an automatic top-up. If you have provided an email address you will be notified when your credit/debit card is within one month of its expiry date. If you do not update your details, you may run the risk of incurring a failed payment.
You acknowledge that TTL will ask a third-party to provide a credit/fraud report on the basis of the credit/debit card details and other personal details you provide as part of the standard procedure when you pay for money to be added to your Oyster card to pay as you go.
TTL reserves the right to suspend, restrict, withdraw, or terminate operation of the recurring payment process at any time and will use all reasonable endeavours to provide prior notification to you of such events.
Liability of TTL
TTL will process top-ups to the recurring payment process with reasonable care and skill.
These terms do not exclude TTL's liability (if any) to you for:
- Personal injury or death resulting from TTL's negligence
- Any matter which it would be illegal for TTL to exclude or to attempt to exclude TTL's liability
TTL is only liable to you for losses which you suffer as a result of a direct breach of these Terms by TTL. TTL is not responsible to you for any losses which you may incur which were not a foreseeable consequence of TTL breaching these terms, eg, if you and TTL could not have contemplated those losses before or when you used this recurring payment process. TTL's liability to you shall not in any circumstance include any business losses that you may incur, including but not limited to lost data, lost profits or business interruption.
TTL reserves the right to make future promotional offers from time to time on such terms as it may in its discretion determine.
Barclaycard OnePulseThese auto top-up terms and conditions together with TfL's Conditions of carriage, including any special terms and conditions, will govern your use of the auto top-up function on your Barclaycard OnePulse. Any other use of the credit card function of Barclaycard OnePulse is governed by separate T&Cs for Barclaycard OnePulse between you and Barclaycard.
In order to set up auto top-up for your Barclaycard OnePulse, you need to inform Barclaycard when you activate your credit card or this can be done at any other time by creating or accessing your Oyster account online.
If your Barclaycard OnePulse is lost or stolen, you must immediately report it to Barclaycard and request Barclaycard to issue a replacement card for you. When you receive your replacement card, you should contact the Oyster helpline on 0343 222 1234 to transfer the Recurring Payment Authority to your new Barclaycard OnePulse.
Please note, nothing in these terms affects your statutory rights.www.tfl.gov.uk/oyster. A ticket reported as lost in the post will be dealt with as follows:
- Where the ticket has been sent by First Class post, every effort will be made to stop the original ticket and Oyster card. A new ticket and Oyster card will then be issued and sent to the customer by First Class post, or the customer may request a refund of the original price paid
- Where the ticket has been sent by Registered Delivery, TfL will investigate the claim with the Delivery Service within 24 hours of notification of non-receipt
- If there is no proof that the original ticket was delivered to the customer, every effort will be made to stop the original ticket and Oyster card. A new ticket and Oyster card will then be issued and sent to the customer by Registered Delivery, at no cost to the customer. Alternatively the customer may request a refund of the original price paid, to include the cost of Registered Delivery
- If there is proof that the ticket was delivered to the customer they will be advised that the facts are being referred to TfL's Oyster cards Ticketing & Refunds for investigation. This does not affect your statutory rights
- TfL and its agency reserve the right to refuse the sale of a ticket
- TfL is currently undertaking research into a range of promotions that may be offered in conjunction with Oyster online. Customers will be asked to indicate whether they wish to be informed of these offers when they become available, or to receive any other communications from TfL
- All tickets bought through Oyster online are subject to TfL's Conditions of Carriage, the Conditions listed above and the Terms as contained in the Oyster online information leaflet supplied with the first issued Oyster card.In the event of conflict, the Conditions listed here and in the Oyster online shop information leaflet will prevail
- If you have set up an account at Oyster online, you can choose to have certain types of refund (see item 3 below) or goodwill payments credited to your Oyster account. Any balance accrued will be used as part or full payment for the next Oyster product you buy online.
- You can view an itemised statement of your web account credits, along with your current credit balance, by logging into your account at Oyster online.
- TfL reserves the right to determine which types of refund can be paid in the form of a web account credit, and this may vary from time to time. You will be offered the choice of this method of payment whenever it is available. The total balance of any credits paid in respect of such refunds will be shown on your web account statement as a 'Cash' balance.
- TfL reserves the right to pay valid London Underground customer charter claims in the form of web account credits. The total balance of any credits paid in respect of the customer charter will be shown separately on your web account statement as a 'Voucher' balance, and certain restrictions will apply as to how this balance can be used and/or redeemed (see items 8 and 9 below).
- Your credit balance cannot be used for Auto top-up, which can only be paid for by debit or credit card.
- If you submit an online order (excluding Auto top-up) and your total credit balance exceeds the total value of your order, your credit balance will be reduced by the value of your order, and no further payment will be due. If you have both 'Cash' and 'Voucher' credit balances, the 'Voucher' balance will be used first.
- If you submit an online order (excluding Auto top-up) and your total credit balance is less than the total value of your order, your credit balance will automatically be used and reduced to £0.00, and the remainder of the order value will be payable by debit or credit card, in line with Oyster online's general Terms and Conditions
- If you order a new Oyster card online and opt for a chargeable delivery service (eg, special delivery, recorded delivery, etc), only credit from the 'Cash' balance will be offset against the delivery charge. Credit from the 'Voucher' balance will only be offset against the cost of tickets or where you wish to add money to your Oyster card to pay as you go.
- You may redeem your web account balance at any time. In this event, we will send you a cheque for the value of the 'cash' balance at the point of redemption. Only the entire 'cash' balance may be redeemed; there is no provision for the part-redemption of this balance.
- No interest will be paid to you on the credit balance held on your web account.
- In the event of your death occurring while your web account is in credit, TfL will apply its normal refund policy applicable to deceased ticket holders, as defined in the Conditions of carriage.