You have to get permission first - it's called a vehicle dispensation.
You need a dispensation
- To load or unload for longer than a bay's time limit
- To park on red lines during restricted hours
We need five days notice to consider the application. Make sure you apply in time.
You don't need a dispensation
If you are:
- Required by law to stop
- Stop to avoid an accident
- Giving or receiving help following an accident or emergency, or taking action for public safety
- Opening or closing a gate or barrier to allow a vehicle to enter or leave premises, and you can't stop elsewhere
- On fire brigade, ambulance or police business
- Removing an obstruction
- Using the vehicle for roadworks
- Using a Royal Mail vehicle to collect or deliver mail
- Carrying out duties on the highway as a statutory undertaker