Barclays Cycle Hire / How it works
Getting started is easy.
Simply hire a bike, ride it where you like, then return it to any docking station
Step 1 - Hire
- Go to the nearest docking station terminal with your debit or credit card and touch the screen to begin
- Select 'Hire a cycle', follow the on-screen instructions and take the printed release code
- You can hire up to four bikes at the same time (remember - you need a separate release code for each bike)
Tip: Barclays Cycle Hire is for short trips, so all journeys under 30 minutes are free from ride charges!
Tip: Each bike release code is valid for 10 minutes and only at that docking station. Bikes are valuable so don't let anyone see your code before you use it.
Step 2 - Ride
- Take a moment to read our tips for safer cycling at the terminal
- Choose your bike and check the tyres, brakes and bell
- Type your five-digit release code into the docking point's silent keypad and pull the bike out when the green light appears
- Adjust the saddle height and you're good to go!
Tip: The bikes have lights that come on automatically when you start pedalling
Step 3 - Return
- Push the bike firmly into any empty docking point
- You must wait for the green light, which will show that the bike is securely docked (otherwise we will continue to charge you for your journey)
- If the docking station is full, select 'No docking point free' at the terminal and follow the on-screen directions to get an extra 15 minutes free.
- To find a nearby space if the docking station is full, select 'Status of nearest docking station' at the terminal
- Remember, if you're not using the bike, dock it back!
Tip: If the bike is unsafe to ride, please let us know it needs repairing by pressing the 'Fault' button on the docking point within 10 seconds of docking it.
Tip: You will need to wait five minutes before hiring another bike.