Barclays Cycle Hire / What you pay
When you return your cycle, make sure the green light comes on to show the bike is securely docked.
If it doesn't, we'll continue to charge you for your journey.
- includes unlimited journeys of up to 30 mins
- 24 hours
- 7 days
(Registered users only)
Extra ride charges
- if you keep a bike for 30 minutes or longer
- Between 30 minutes and 1 hour
- Up to 1 hour 30 minutes
- Up to 2 hours
- Up to 2 hours 30 minutes
- Up to 3 hours
- Up to 6 hours
- Up to 24 hours (maximum)
If you keep a bike for over 24 hours: £150
If you damage or don't return a bike: Up to £300
- Your bike access period begins once payment is taken - not when you first use a bike
- The scheme accepts all major credit and debit cards (it does not accept cash or Oyster cards)
- You must be 18 or over to hire a bike and 14 or over to ride one
- Terms and conditions apply - these are also displayed on the docking station terminal
Some example journeys to illustrate the cost of Barclays Cycle Hire
Juan buys bike access for 24 hours and cycles for 15 minutes to Trafalgar Square, docking his bike nearby.
Later that day, he picks up another bike and cycles for 22 minutes to the theatre.
Both trips were under 30 minutes and within the 24-hour period so Juan simply pays £2 bike access.
Juan's total cost = £2
Claire buys bike access for 24 hours and cycles for 50 minutes from Shepherd's Bush to Covent Garden where she docks her bike and meets a friend for coffee.
Afterwards, she picks up another bike and cycles for 35 minutes to Bethnal Green to see her mum.
Both trips took between 30 minutes and an hour each, and were made within the 24-hour period so Claire pays £2 bike access + 2 x £1 extra ride charges.
Claire's total cost = £4