Construction Logistics Plans
Construction Logistics Plans (CLPs) can help people in the construction industry save money. They help manage deliveries to building sites more effectively.
What are CLPs?
CLPs help you to manage all types of freight vehicle movement to and from construction sites. They improve the safety and reliability of deliveries to a site, reduce congestion and minimise the environmental impact.
What are the benefits?
CLPs can benefit you, your company and the local community. The advantages include:
- Reduced delivery costs and improved security
- More reliable deliveries = less disruption to the business day
- Time saved as you identify unnecessary deliveries
- Less noise and intrusion
- Opportunity to feed into a corporate social responsibility (CSR) programme and ensure your operations comply with health and safety legislation
A CLP also benefits your freight operator:
- Legal loading areas mean less risk of them receiving penalty charge notices
- They can save fuel through reduced, re-timed or consolidated deliveries
- They can use vehicles more efficiently as greater delivery reliability will help them plan better
Developing a CLP
You should develop a CLP as part of a transport assessment. Every CLP needs to be tailored to a site's requirements, but things to consider include:
- Looking at where legal loading can take place
- Using freight operators who can demonstrate their commitment to best practice - for example, members of our Freight Operator Recognition Scheme (FORS)
- Consolidating deliveries so fewer journeys are needed
- Using more sustainable delivery methods
We're currently looking at the best ways to minimise the impact of construction-related freight activity on London's roads. Download our guide for more detail:
Case studiesWe have worked in partnership with the Waste and Resources Action Programme (WRAP) to produce three London-specific case studies on the use of best practice tools within Construction and Materials Logistics Plans.
View them on the WRAP website.
Please email us if you have any queries on CLPs, or would like further advice on drafting a plan.
See our Delivery and Servicing Plans page for more information on improving freight activity to and from buildings.