VictoriaOngoing work to improve Victoria station should result in fewer delays, less congestion, step-free access and quicker journeys in and out of the station.
The final stage of the project is due to finish in 2018. Until then it may be faster and easier to use an alternative route.
- A new underground North ticket hall at the junction of Bressenden Place and Victoria Street with an entrance at street level
- Larger Victoria line ticket hall (South ticket hall)
- Nine new escalators
- A new interchange tunnel connecting the two ticket halls
- New lifts providing step-free access between street, ticket hall and Victoria line platform levels
- New lifts providing interchange between the Victoria line and District and Circle lines platforms
- Improved access and new lifts between the National Rail and Tube platforms
Opening of North ticket hall
South ticket hall extension opens. All works complete
Changes to travel
Walking routes to and from the London Underground and National Rail stations will be affected by the improvement works. You should allow extra time if you need to change lines or your journey starts or finishes at Victoria station. Look out for updated signs.
The main changes during construction include:
- The stairs from the Underground station to Wilton Road are closed. When the project is complete in 2018, a new set of stairs leading towards Wilton Road will open
- The taxi rank previously located outside the front of the National Rail station is now in Hudson's Place
- The Victory Arch entrance to the National Rail station and the nearby pedestrian area are closed
Please see the link below for further details on bus stops outside Victoria Station:
Victoria Street/Bressenden Place Pedestrian CrossingIn order to enable construction of the eastern section of the new North ticket hall, the pedestrian crossing at the Victoria Street/Bressenden Place junction marked X on the plan below will be closed for approximately two years from 25 February 2013. To access Cardinal Place please use the new crossing opposite Westminster Cathedral.
Traffic changes at Wilton Road
Wilton Road north of Neathouse Place is currently closed to all general traffic except buses, licensed taxis and bicycles.
General traffic is being diverted along Bridge Place, Eccleston Bridge and Buckingham Palace Road. This route avoids the Congestion Charging zone.
Vehicles that are heavier than 18 tonnes will need to find an alternative to using Eccleston Bridge. If they are under 4.4m high, those vehicles should use Grosvenor Road
Road signs on the approach to, and at, the Wilton Road junction will alert you to the diversion and that access to Wilton Road is restricted to buses and licensed taxis.
If you ignore the signs and drive along Wilton Road, you may be issued with a Penalty Charge Notice of £130 (reduced to £65 if paid within 14 days).
Buying a ticket
You can buy your ticket in advance to avoid ticket hall queues. You might:
- Buy an Underground ticket with your National Rail ticket to London
- Order your Oyster online
- Visit the TfL Travel Information Centre in the National Rail station (opposite platform 7)
- Visit a ticket stop
We have a Transport and Works Act Order from Secretary of State for Transport for these works.
The Code of Construction Practice outlines how the works will be carried out.
Our application to carry out the work included the following plans and documents.
For more information on the Victoria Station Upgrade please contact us.Telephone: 0345 020 0015
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Address: Victoria Station Upgrade
London Underground Ltd
2nd Floor, Victoria Station House
191 Victoria Street
London SW1E 2NE
Improvements at Victoria station are part of our Tube Improvement Plan, which involves extensive work to other stations and Tube lines.