East London Transit
When the project is complete, related bus services will provide fast, frequent and reliable journeys with links to the wider transport network including National Rail, London Underground, future Crossrail as well as other local bus services.
There are two phases of ELT. The first phase is complete and services are running from Ilford to Dagenham Dock station via Barking town centre.
The second phase will run from Barking town centre to Long Reach Road for access to the Barking Riverside development.
FM Conway has been appointed to carry out the main works contract.
The second phase, from Barking town centre to the Barking Riverside development, will deliver:
- Dedicated bus lanes in selected areas to improve journey times
- Reduced congestion by removing parking and loading from traffic lanes
- Improved footways and pedestrian access
- Upgrades and improvements to some traffic signals and junctions along the route
- Improved passenger information
- A tree-lined avenue along River Road
The first phase, from Ilford to Dagenham Dock via Barking town centre, has already introduced:
- New parking and loading facilities as well as major junction improvements to smooth traffic flow
- New crossings and street lighting
- Improved footway paving and rejuvenated green spaces
- New bus shelters at all ELT stops, with the kerb raised for easy boarding
- Real-time passenger information at busy stops
- New double-decker buses with next stop announcements and an air-cooling system
- Buses into Barking town centre
The second phase, with confirmed funding of £18.5m from the Homes and Communities Agency, has started and will be completed by September 2013.
For more information about the works contact the contractor, FM Conway.
Below is an overview of the key construction milestones.
|Advance works||Target dates|
|Main works activity||Target dates|
Compulsory Purchase Order and Side Roads Order
Confirmation of the Compulsory Purchase Order and associated Side Roads Order, necessary to deliver the second phase, has been given by the Secretary of State.
TfL (East London Transit 1B) Compulsory Purchase Order 2009
TfL (River Road) Side Roads Order 2009