Hammersmith & City line factsSkip to navigation
The original Metropolitan Railway terminated at Bishop's Road, Paddington, adjacent to the Great Western Railway terminus, but in June 1864 the line was extended to Hammersmith to accommodate the broad gauge trains operated by the Great Western Railway in the 19th century.
At the eastern end, a service opened beyond Liverpool Street to Whitechapel in October 1884 at the same time as the completion of the Circle.
Trains have run on from Whitechapel to Barking over District line tracks since 1936.
Improving the Hammersmith & City line
Hammersmith & City line facts
Number of passengers on the Hammersmith & City line
The Hammersmith & City line between Hammersmith and Barking is 25.5km (16 miles) in length and serves 29 stations. An average trip from end to end takes 63 minutes at peak times.
The line requires 15 trains to operate the peak period service. Hammersmith & City line trains are known as C stock. They were manufactured by Metro-Cammell of Birmingham in two batches in 1969 and 1977.
These six-car trains are made up of three units each consisting of two cars permanently coupled together.
The trains were refurbished by RFS Industries, Doncaster between 1991 and 1994.
The principal depot for the Hammersmith & City line is at Hammersmith, but there are several sidings at other places such as Barking, Triangle Sidings (in Kensington) and Farringdon.
A new train crew depot opened at Edgware Road in July 1993, providing better staff deployment control and improved staff facilities.
Hammersmith & City line management
The Hammersmith & City line's General Manager is Pete Allaway.
London Underground is responsible for the maintenance, upgrading and renewal of the Hammersmith & City line's assets.
If you wish to comment on the Hammersmith & City line services, or would like to know more about the line, please contact us.