We have to balance the demand for road space from road users such as pedestrians, drivers and cyclists with the need for freight transport and essential services.
Our role is to provide a well-designed, sustainable and accessible road network which is sympathetic with the unique character of each street.
We also offer real-time traffic information and incident or event updates via our traffic news Twitter feed, as explained in this video:
Other services offered
- Encourage sustainable travel, promote safety and improve the environment by providing wider pavements, better pedestrian crossing and more cyclist facilities
- Provide guidance and help for TfL-funded cycling, walking, accessibility and safety schemes on borough roads
- Sponsor campaigns in the media
- Support training programmes to improve safety
- Manage and maintain the highway assets on the 580km TfL Road Network, known as red routes
- Design and implement major projects, including the reconstruction and refurbishment of bridges and tunnels
- Manage the operation of London's main roads and all of the Capital's 6,000 traffic light signals
- Provide speed, red light and road safety enforcement, and traffic surveillance cameras
- Coordinate the work carried out by utility companies and our own contractors to minimise disruption
- Assist London's traffic authorities to carry out their duties under the Traffic Management Act
- Work with the boroughs and other TfL partners to provide safe, secure, accessible and attractive streets
- Provide real-time information to advise the public of emergencies, planned public events, road works and delays on the road network
If you have spotted a problem on a street - from potholes, to damaged traffic lights, to missing signs - report it using our online street fault form. Or you can make suggestions, comments or complaints using our online feedback form.