This act gives the Mayor of London a general duty to develop and implement policies to promote and encourage safe, integrated, efficient and economic transport facilities and services to, from and within London.
It also states that we have a duty to help the Mayor complete his duties.
In particular, we are required to provide or secure the provision of public passenger transport services, to, from or within Greater London.
We also have certain other powers and duties. As a highway and traffic authority for GLA roads we regulate how the public uses highways and we are responsible for:
- Traffic signs
- Traffic control systems
- Road safety
- Traffic reduction
We are also the licensing authority for hackney carriages (taxis) and private hire vehicles (minicabs).
The GLA sets down our powers and duties. In general, we can delegate to agencies to act on our behalf. However, in the case of certain specified activities, that delegation is limited. Those activities specified by the Transport for London (Specified Activities) Order 2000 must be carried out by TfL through a company limited by shares (which may be a subsidiary of TfL).
Transport Trading Limited (TTL) is our trading body and its subsidiaries are:
- City Airport Rail Enterprises (Holdings) Limited
- City Airport Rail Enterprises PLC
- Crossrail Limited
- Docklands Light Railway Limited
- London Bus Services Limited
- London Buses Limited
- London Dial-A-Ride Limited
- London River Services Limited
- London Transport Museum (Trading) Limited
- London Transport Museum Limited
- London Underground Limited
- LUL Nominee BCV Limited
- LUL Nominee SSL Limited
- Rail for London Limited
- Tramtrack Croydon Limited
- Transport for London Finance Limited
- Tube Lines (Finance) PLC
- Tube Lines (Holdings) Limited
- Tube Lines Limited
- Tube Lines Pension Scheme Trustees Limited
- UIC Transport (JNP) Limited
- Victoria Coach Station Limited
- Woolwich Arsenal Rail Enterprises (Holdings) Limited
- Woolwich Arsenal Rail Enterprises Limited
All functions remain with the TfL Board unless delegated. The TfL Board may arrange to delegate its functions to any TfL committees and sub-committee, any TfL subsidiaries, any TfL members or officers and any bodies of members or / and officers. The TfL Standing Orders lay down the decision-making structure and proceedings and the scheme of delegation.