Apply for a new licence
All you need to do is complete a PHV operator licence application pack and return this to us. Applicants will be legally responsible for the private hire business applied for.
An application can take up to 16 weeks to process, depending on the type of licence applied for. As long as you meet the licensing criteria, we'll issue you with a licence which lasts for five years.
Please read the operator guidance notes before you apply.
Types of licence
There are two types of operator's licence: 'small' and 'standard'.
Holders of a small operator's licence may only have a maximum of two private hire vehicles available for use at any one time.
Holders of a standard operator's licence do not have any restrictions on the number of private hire vehicles that can be available for use at any one time.
You cannot convert a small operator's licence to a standard operator's licence, so think carefully about which type of licence you require before applying.
Premises and planning permission
Before you apply, you must have:
- At least one 'operating centre' in London, this is the premises where you will take bookings. Your operating centre could be an office, a high street shop or your home address. For addresses outside Greater London, you must obtain a licence from the local council
- Proof of planning permission or a certificate of lawful use for your proposed premises from your local authority. Where planning permission isn't required, you must provide written confirmation (email or letter) from the local authority. The document must be clearly linked to the address of the proposed premises. Any breach of planning legislation could result in your local council taking enforcement action against you
- If the operating centre's primary use is for another business, you'll need to provide further information about the operating centre
- A fixed landline telephone number for bookings. A licence cannot be issued without this
The application pack contains:
- A covering letter with details about the application process
- A PHV/101 application form, a PHV/103 personal declaration form and a PHV/108 operating centre information form (see below)
Your application must contain:
- A completed PHV/101 application form (PDF 238KB)
- PHV/103 personal declaration form (PDF 196KB) completed for each individual associated with the application
- PHV/108 operating centre form (PDF 225KB) completed for every operating centre
- The correct fee (pay by banker's draft, building society cheque, credit or debit card)
- Evidence of planning permission for proposed operating centre(s)
Send completed applications to:
PHV Operator Licensing
TfL - London Taxi and Private Hire
4th Floor (Green Zone)
197 Blackfriars Road
London SE1 8NJ
Read the terms and conditions